Start a Team
To get started, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1 Select the team captain. The captain must register first and create the team before members can join.
- Step 2 Choose a team name and team division that best describes your team. During registration, designate whether you are a friends and family, corporate or school team.
- Step 3 Invite friends, coworkers, and family to join you! Email, Facebook or tweet everyone you know and invite them to race and fundraise with you.
- Step 4 Set up your team web page. After you register, log in to your Fundraising Center to add a photo of your team, set a fundraising goal and tell everyone why you race for the cure.
Team Captain Checklist
Once you’ve registered your Team, here are some next steps:
- Make a self -donation in any denomination to show your commitment
- Set a goal for the number of people you will recruit. For recruitment tips click here
- Display event materials — brochures and posters — around the office, campus, cafeterias, break rooms, gyms, and other high traffic areas. Put your name, phone number, and/or email address on the posters so people can contact you to get involved.
- Host a kickoff meeting or event and invite the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® staff to make a presentation.
- Send fundraising tips out to all your team members and highlight the team’s top fundraising member.
- Create fundraising incentives for your team members encouraging them to meet or exceed their fundraising goals.
- Remind team members to log on to their fundraising pages to record all offline donations and send thank-you notes.
- Post a progress chart with your fundraising and recruitment goals in a visible area and update totals regularly.
Last year, Teams raised more than $36,000.00 in the fight to end breast cancer. That’s a huge impact! Team fundraising helps ensure that we will be able to make the biggest impact in the community.
There are two ways that teams can engage in fundraising:
- Each team member asks their friends, family members and co-workers to support them in their fundraising efforts by making a donation. To get tips and tools on personal fundraising, click here.
- Your team can host a fundraising event. To download a list of fun and easy fundraising events, click here.
The ultimate reward is knowing you’ve brought our community miles closer to the reality of a world without breast cancer. But be sure to check out the Team Rewards page for more information on how we thank our top performing teams!
Thank you for your support, we do appreciate all of your hard work and efforts!